Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Terrorists have slammed N24 million levies on nine communities in Bukkuyum Local Government Area of Zamfara State and demanded prompt payment or face assaults. The levied communities include Gaude, Tungar Gebe, Wawan Iccen Ibrahim, Wawan Iccen Salihu, Galle, Nannarki, Ruwan Kura, Gangara and Yargalma.
2. Gunmen stormed a burial ceremony in Ezinifite, Nnewi South Local Government Area of Anambra State at the weekend and scared away mourners and guests. One of the guests said the burial ceremony ended abruptly after the gunmen invaded the area.
3. The Federal Government of Nigeria, on Monday, filed new terrorism charges against the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu. In the amended process it filed before the Federal High Court in Abuja, the Federal Government increased the counts in the initial charge it preferred against Kanu.
4. Bayern Munich striker, Robert Lewandowski, has been named FIFA Best Men’s Player of 2021. Lewandowski won the prize ahead of Paris Saint-Germain’s Lionel Messi and Liverpool winger, Mohamed Salah, at an event held on Monday night in Zurich, Switzerland.
5. Gunmen have Kidnapped Da Gyang Balak, the Gwom Rwei (District Head) of Vwang District of Jos-South Local Government Area of Plateau. Maj. Ishaku Takwa, the Media Officer of Operation Safe Haven (OPSH) maintaining peace in Plateau and environs confirmed the incident in a statement on Monday in Jos.
6. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Governors’ Forum has urged the National Assembly to immediately conclude issues surrounding the Electoral Act Amendment Bill by overriding President Muhammadu Buhari’s veto. The forum made the call in a communique at the end of its meeting on Monday in Port-Harcourt.
7. Bandits on sighting a detachment of police along the Kaduna-Birnin Gwari road yesterday, abandoned 16 kidnapped victims and took to their heels. The Police Public Relations Officer ( PPRO) in Kaduna State, ASP Muhammad Jalige made this known in a statement on Monday.
8. Governor Bello Matawalle of Zamfara State has said banditry will not end soon in his State because of individuals using insecurity to score political points. The governor said this Monday while responding to questions from State House reporters after meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
9. The United States and the British Governments have rejected a request by IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu, to send representatives to observe his trial holding at the Federal High Court, Abuja Division on January 18, 19, and 20. While the US said it was limiting its employees from attending public gatherings, the UK explained that it does not normally attend a court case involving a British national.
10. Armed hoodlums dressed in army uniform have abducted seven wedding guests at the Isara, Ogun State end of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway. It was gathered that the victims attended a wedding in Ibadan, Oyo State, on Saturday, and were returning to their base in Lagos State on Sunday, when the incident occurred.