Bandits on Tuesday killed three out of 26 kidnapped victims following the inability of their relatives to pay the N20 million ransom demanded.
CDAnews recalls that bandits on March 22, 2022, stormed Ungwan Bulus in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State and kidnapped 26 residents.
A few days after, they demanded a ransom of N20 million each from the relatives of the kidnapped victims.
However, the family who could not afford the ransom begged for a reduction in the money.
Angered by the victims’ relatives pleading for a reduction in the ransom, the bandits killed three, threatening to kill more, if the ransom is not paid within 24 hours.
The Chief of Ungwan Bulus, Gideon Haruna Goni, who confirmed the killing of the three victims said the bandits called the community to inform them that they should pick the corpses around Dutse Community along the Kaduna-Abuja highway.
The Chief said the corpses had been retrieved, adding that the bandits said if the family fail to pay N20 million each for other captives before 12pm on Wednesday, April 20, 2022, the remaining victims would be killed.
We came together as a community, raised some amount and they called us and told us to pick corpses of victims from Dutse. They threatened to kill more, especially women, if their demands are not met. 26 were abducted, one was released, three were killed,” he said.
He explained that the person, who was released was considered on health grounds.
The chief, who appealed to the abductors not to kill any of the victims, pleaded with the state and federal government to come to their aid.
State Police Command Public Relations Officer, ASP Jalige Mohammed, didn’t pick up his calls.