Home House of Reps Reps Committee Demands Value For Money, Insists On Quality Road Projects

Reps Committee Demands Value For Money, Insists On Quality Road Projects

The House of Representatives Committee on Works has told the Federal Ministry of Works as well as the contractor handling the Abuja–Keffi–Lafia–Makurdi Road Project that it must make sure that Nigerians get good value for their money.

The Committee Chairman, Abubakar Kabir Abubakar stated this when he led members of the Committee on an oversight tour which inspected ongoing road projects, insisting that the job must be delivered according to the stipulated timeline of April 2023, with emphasis on quality.

The inspection tour of the reconstruction and expansion of the 4.5km Abuja, Nasarawa road saw members of the Committee, asking critical questions regarding the design, quality of materials and the width of the lanes and shoulder, as well as the thickness of the road.

The lawmakers expressed the need to ensure that every kobo appropriated is well accounted for through the quality of the job to be delivered.

The committee questioned why the project was being done in an un-uniform manner with some sections jumping over and continuing ahead.

But Henry Usor, an official from the Road Sector Development Unit of the Federal Ministry of Works explained that compensation issues were responsible for such staggered implementation.

According to him,the Ministry only takes charge of portions on which compensations had been paid and asks the Contractor to commence work, adding that buildings and commercial facilities such as fuel stations can only be demolished after compensation issues are settled.

He reiterated that whatever issues and observations raised by the Committee on the job done would be noted and corrections ensured by the Contractor before the project is taken over by the Ministry.

While speaking with to newsmen after the inspection, the Reps Committee Chairman, Abubakar Kabir said the project, cost the federal government $542 million and is counter-funded by the China Exim Bank as well as the Chinese and Nigerian Governments.

He explained that the Chinese were contributing 85 percent of the funding, while Nigeria completed the remaining 15 percent.

The Committee Chairman insisted that there must be no compromise on the quality of the job that would be delivered at the end of the project, adding that the job done must be commensurate to the money spent.

There should be no compromise in terms of quality, standard and timely delivery. This is because we made adequate budgetary provisions for this project in the 2022 appropriation, so there should be no excuse as to why the work would be delayed any further.

The 2023 budget will come in any moment from now, and this oversight is necessary for us to know how what was allocated last year was utilised for us to determine what’s needed and how to give approval, he opined.

Usor, however,assured that the project would be delivered within the stipulated time, saying the initial completion time given was 36 months, while the final completion time was 48 months.

For Publication of your news content, essays, tapes, or any other newsworthy materials, please send them to cdanews9@gmail.com
For more inquiries and Advert, please call or WhatsApp. +234-805-410-9484.
Follow us on Twitter @anewsreporters
Visit our website,
www. cdanewsonline.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Abia PDP Restates Unwavering Support For Atiku’s Presidential Bid

The leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Abia State has declared in strong terms that it is behind the party’s presidential candidate...

Don’t Vote For Killers – Jonathan Urges Nigerians

Former president, Goodluck Jonathan, has warned Nigerians not to vote for those he described as “killers” during the 2023 election. Jonathan disclosed this on Sunday...

Buhari, Malami Dragged To Court Over Nigeria’s Agreement With US Regarding $23m Abacha Loot

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has sued President Muhammadu Buhari over the agreement between Nigeria and the United States for the repatriated $23...

Kidnap Kingpin John Lyon arrested in Abuja

My Wife Just Had A Baby, Suspected Kidnapper Wails A suspected kidnapper, John Iyon, has pleaded for forgiveness as he claimed that his wife was...

Recent Comments