1. Benin 🇧🇯 is named after the body of water on which it lies – the ‘Bight of Benin’.
People of the country do not like to be photographed. They believe that a photograph can be used to cast a spell or a course.
2. The Benin Empire of Nigeria 🇳🇬 was one of the oldest and most highly developed states in west Africa, dating back to the 11th century. The walls of Benin City and its surrounding kingdom were a man-made marvel described as “the world’s largest earthworks prior to the mechanical era”.
3. In Benin 🇧🇯, With over twelve thousand students enrolled, the University of Benin in Cotonou is the only post secondary institution in the country.
4. Nigeria 🇳🇬 has the highest GDP in Africa
5. Nigeria 🇳🇬 has the largest population in Africa
6. Nigeria’s 🇳🇬 Lagos city is the largest city in West Africa
7. The Gambia 🇬🇲 once sat at the centre of the slave trade, Kunte Kinte Island, formerly known as James Island, was once a major waypoint of the transatlantic slave trade.
8. Gambia 🇬🇲 Is named after the River Gambia, one of West Africa’s major rivers.
9. In Gambia 🇬🇲 During elections, Gambians vote using marbles.
10. Gambia 🇬🇲 Is the smallest country in mainland Africa.
11. Gambia 🇬🇲 is known for the beaches along its small Atlantic coastline and for being home to Jufureh (Juffure), the reputed ancestral village of Kunta Kinte.
12. Burkina Faso 🇧🇫is a leader in African art and culture and hosts the largest craft market in Africa.
13. Burkina Faso 🇧🇫is Africa’s largest producer of cotton.
14. In Burkina Faso 🇧🇫Gold is Burkina Faso’s main export, followed by cotton and animal products.
15. Sierra Leone 🇸🇱is rich in mineral deposits, especially diamonds, and has long relied on the mining industry
16. In Mali 🇲🇱, Mansa Musa, was Mali’s ever greatest ruler who was estimated to be the richest man ever in the world
17. Niger 🇳🇪 is considered one of the hottest nations. It is known as the “Frying Pan of the World.”
18. Ghana 🇬🇭 was the first country in sub-Saharan Africa to gain independence post-colonialism.
19. 🇬🇭 Ghana was ranked as Africa’s most peaceful country by the Global Peace Index.
20. 🇬🇭 Lake Volta, in the Volta region of the country, is the world’s largest man-made lake.
21. 🇬🇭 The currency unit in Ghana is called the cedi and its the strongest currency in the region
22. Nigeria 🇳🇬 is the most populous country in Africa.
23. In Nigeria 🇳🇬 Over 500 indigenous languages are spoken throughout the country.
24. Nigeria 🇳🇬 is Home to the richest man in Africa 🇳🇬
25. Oil is one of the biggest exports of the country 🇳🇬
26. Lagos is the largest city in Africa but it’s not the capital of Nigeria 🇳🇬
27. In Nigeria 🇳🇬, The movie industry is known as Nollywood
28. Liberia 🇱🇷 was created for freed slaves. The American Colonization Society founded Liberia in 1821 as a place for free African Americans to migrate to. More than 10,000 made the journey across the Atlantic.
29. Liberia 🇱🇷 some sources indicate Liberia was the first African country to gain independence in 1847.
30. Cape Verde 🇨🇻has many volcanoes, the highest of which is Pico do Fogo
31. In Cape Verde 🇨🇻, Boa Vista’s waters are a breeding ground for humpback whales
32. In Cape Verde 🇨🇻 The archipelago was uninhabited until the 15th century. Portuguese explorers colonised the islands in 1456, establishing the first European settlement in the tropics.
33. Guinea 🇬🇳 has abundant natural resources including 25% or more of the world’s known bauxite reserves. Guinea also has diamonds, gold, and other metals. The country has great potential for hydroelectric power. Bauxite and alumina are currently the only major exports.
34. In Senegal 🇸🇳 There is a pink lake! Lake Retba in Senegal is Pink.
35. In Senegal 🇸🇳 There are 7 UNESCO sites.
36. In Senegal 🇸🇳 You can find goats and sheep everywhere in Senegal!
37. In Togo 🇹🇬 The Portuguese arrived in the 15th century but did not settle.
38. In Togo 🇹🇬 Traditional healing methods are widely used in Togo. Each center has an herbalist.
© African Voice